domingo, 11 de março de 2012

Fixing Rail spacer thickness

Last week, I found out that I had a significant missalignment on the Z-axel rail. After checking the assembly, I found out that the support rail spacer, a piece of clear acrylic, was the culprit. Due to how the rail works, in the outermost positions of the spindle support, it was off center to as much as 2.0mm from the z-Axel. Reversing the rail spacer assembly, would give -2.0mm of center, wich proved that the spacer was the origin of the problem. I had assumed the acrylic board was flat and of even thickness, but that proved to not be the case. It had a diference in thickness that added up to ~0,6mm between both ends.
The solution was to remove the rail spacer, and fly cut it, until it was all of even thickness. To be able to fly cut the spacer, an already finished piece, I had to make two extra holes, to be able to fix it properly. I added a small cavity to sunk/hide the screw heads from the fly cutting tool surface area to be cut. While fly cutting plastic, it gets a static electric charge, making all the thin cut slices to glue everywhere, making me remember snow, specially when the plastic is floating in mid air.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário