segunda-feira, 3 de fevereiro de 2014

Clu Gravity Ball - Self Contained Prototype

Following my development schedule, I created my first self contained Clu Gravity Ball, i.e. battery, electronics and lighting are all inside the gadget. This is only possible because I shrunk the electronics, using SMD components.

Since space is at premium inside the ball, I do not have enought space for regular battery holders, which use springs that take too much space. So I had to figure out another way to solve this problem.

I created two battery end caps using two vinnegar bottle caps (cut to size) that provide a snug fit to the battery, and used two copper battery pads to make a stable connection.

I still have some issues to sort out, like finding a better way to connect battery connectors to the board. Currentlly I have 2 tiny wires that will not withstand much handling without breaking. I already had to resolder them a couple of times, while doing some experiments and testing.

Current electronics version, is just barebones. I just have a basic reliable lighting circuit, but without any form of control, i.e. no on/off and no dimming or similar features.

Next scheduled improvements in electronics:
  1. Power management circuit
  2. Support a re-chargeable battery
  3. Add MicroController and build firmware
  4. Add Acelerometer
  5. Support configurations in firmware (using acelerometer)
  6. Suport RGB lights
I still have a long way to go, to create and shrink all scheduled features. Nonetheless, this is a step in the right direction.

I have already selected and aquired all required components for the next phase. Now I need to do some prototyping.


3 comentários:

  1. Any plans on producing these to sell?

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I know it’s been years. Wonder if you’ve made these are can still produce to sell a set of baoding clu balls.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. Please email me at mrchin@mac.com if you can provide any details. Thanks.

      Eliminar