segunda-feira, 24 de junho de 2013

Clu gravity balls (prototype)

After looking arround the web, there doesn't seem to exist any supplier for the nice looking Clu gravity (or baoding) balls, as depicted in the movie Tron Legacy.

Since I haven't had much time to proceed with my robot project, I decided this would be a much smaller project, that I could do in a relativelly short time (but I was wrong :).

The problem with projects like these, is that I'm a perfectionist when it comes to detail, and that's good and bad. Good because the final product will look and feel better. Bad because it will eat away lots of time just to get it right, but in the end I'm happier.

At first I did some research, but there isn't much info on the actual gadjet, in terms of dimmensions, material it was made of, etc...

To make the ball sturdier and have a nice heavy/metal feel to it, I decided I would make the ball from aluminium.

Since I want to have at least 2 gadjets (avoiding the term "balls" in there :), and since others might be interested in it too, I opted to make a design that would allow for better replication or future production in the long run. So molded aluminium is an expected target, to give some extra use to the Aluminum Furnace.

I started planning, and after a few iterations, I was already on version 3, and lots of changes in between prototypes. However, while progressing between versions, I did several test runs, with materials and shapes, just to experiment with possible solutions, and validate expected results.

The first problem that I got into was to determine the actual correct radius for it. First design iterations, were more or less conditioned by the size of electrical components, battery, LEDs, etc... and I kind of eyeball it from movie screenshots. My initial estimate was arround a diameter of 50mm (~1.96 Inches).
 However, I realized soon that a small change in radius, implies a somewhat massive change in volume in practical terms, which is relevant for handling it with your hands (smaller is better), but space is at a premium for electronics (more volume is better). So this could quickly become an engineering decision of balancing the pros and cons.

For the first tries I used 3mm LEDs and a 12V battery, for it's larger capacity, and higher potencial which would allow powering a few LEDs in series, depending on the LEDs.

Using LEDs on a ball of this size, has some serious drawbacks, because even the most wide angle LEDs usually have only 120º degrees of output, however due to the size of the ball, the LEDs are so close to the outer surface, that simply it isn't possible to have enough LEDs to cover the entire light ring in a reasonable way.
Another problem is that LEDs have a very intense but focused light, i.e. LEDs are not a good source for a flood light, which is what is intended in this case. What actually happens is that LEDs light shape can be clearly seen on the outside of the light ring, due to their bright concentrated output, which shows up as hard spot lights.

After these first experiments, it was obvious that: ball was too big, current electronics didn't fit the bill, and I had a light difusion problem to solve.

In order to not throw away further work on the subject, I decided to make a more accurate size estimate based on the movie screenshots, because if it will take me more effort to make it smaller, at least I want to do it the right size. This took me to a range between 40mm and 42mm, which is very cramped for the 3mm LEDs, cables and battery.

So a change in electronics was in order, and now I had a target goal for size. But I still had the light difusion problem to solve.

After some more research on the web, checking manufacturers LED specs, LED lights and solutions for diffusion of LED lighting, I got to the point to investigate how laptops LED backlights were being built, since they have a very even light output, which is what we want.

All this investigation/digging put me in the right track, for hunting the right kind of acrylic/plastic that would have the best characteristics in terms of light diffusion and transmission, and also on how to direct light and build a shape in the best possible way, so that total internal reflection could be used to conduct light for a better effect, but still provide enough diffusion to scatter light evenly.
I also did some investigation on plastics that were used backlit buttons, for example elevator/lift controls, media center boxes, and some other cool looking gadjets, using backlit buttons.

So next batch of experiments was to try different kinds of plastics, their light scatering/diffusion characteristics and how shape and angles affected light going throw it. In order to have a more visual exploration of this subject I started conducting tests using a red laser.

After finding the plastic that satisfied my intentions, I started experimenting with the ring shape and how light
should hit it in order to have a nice even light glow.

After I got the light source and shape nailed to the high standards it deserves, I started working on actual ball requirements and how the interior should be built in order to satisfy them all.
Minimum mechanic design goals:
  • Sturdy metalic ball
  • Weight balanced ball, weight should be equally distributed
  • Even light glow
  • Replaceable battery
  • Must have simple but sturdy open/close mechanism (to replace Battery)
  • Open/close mechanism MUST NOT be of screwing/threaded type
Some goals are somewhat obvious but the last design goal, from this simplified list, was due to a reasonable expectation that if a user rotates two balls in one hand, the ball might eventually open, i.e. unscrew itself. On another note, any threads would probably have an adverse effect on the light ring glow to become un-even, due to possible reflection occuring on thread surfaces.

Another factor that went into the decision, to not use a threaded aproach for open/close ball, was the fact that given a two part sphere (two semi-spheres) gadjet, almost everyone will immediatly try to unscrew it, it's just a natural reaction. If the ball does not unscrew, it can create some mistery/challenge on how to actually open it, and that improves the coolness factor :).

I designed a simple but effective lock mechanism, after trying several methods, but I'll keep it under wraps for now :)

Next steps will be:
  • Shrink electronics, so they can fit inside the ball.
  • Black anodize a prototype aluminium ball.
  • Create two versions, a single color (fixed at manufacture time) and a multi color one (configurable light glow color).
  • Integrate an acelerometer, to power on/off on motion detection.
  • Add a microcontroller for configuration and support some cool features (tell you all about it later).

Update

Just to link this post to the next one, which contains some video of a self-contained ball rolling around

43 comentários:

  1. In a near future I will probably sell a few of these. But first I need to finish at least the basic version (light up on touch sensing only).

    ResponderEliminar
  2. How long do you think it'll be before these become available?

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. I expect to have something finished by end of september or october, although not exactly ready for sale. I have no target set for sale yet.

      Eliminar
  3. Utilize acrilico branco-leite e LEDs UV 405nm. A conversão de luz será extrmamente maior pelo mesmo consumo.
    http://youtu.be/lQJkg1CurUg
    ;)

    ResponderEliminar
  4. How much do you think the final product will be?

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. Well, it all depends on how many items I will produce.
      I haven't decided yet, but I might try some form of crowd funding, to jump start a production process, if there is enough interest.
      For a few balls, up to 50 or so, I would have to produce them all by hand, like I did the prototypes, and taking into account everything required like small batch for PCB, electronics and machining aluminium, I believe it can get as hi as 150€ each, due to the labor and workmanship involved. For this volume, this is only feasible as a premium collectors edition.

      On the other hand, I have tried to contact Disney's departments to be able to license it (without success, a good valid contact would be appreciated), for eventual production as a licensed product, and that would probably increase costs a lot for a small batch.
      An alternative, for a small batch could be to just sell them as "light balls" or "glow balls" or something similar.
      For a large crowd funded batch, it could be feasible to license it as a Tron product, and maybe even reduce the price, due to economies of scale. Licensing would have the adicional advantage of gettting the actual movie prop dimmensions and/or reference designs.

      It would be great to have a hint on how many people actually want one (or a pair) of these.
      When I get closer to a final version, I will probably scan a few fan sites, to get a fealling of how big the community/interest really is.

      Any help is welcome, since as time goes buy, the movie interest fades away, since Tron Uprising series seems to be over too.

      Eliminar
  5. I doubt Disney would offer a licence if they already have the means to produce these themselves, I think it would be limited to a small core base of fans. If you market a working model at etsy.com or if you make some posts to prominent night life forums you may have a few interested customers. Which I may be able to help with if you wish me to do so i can do that for you feel free to email me.

    Me personally I would be happy to order my own for a small halloween project of mine.

    ResponderEliminar
  6. Email me please, very very interested in acquiring one of these boeding, before I have an outburst on my next victim!
    Chrispadilla1224@gmail.com

    Willing to pay top dollar!

    ResponderEliminar
  7. These are incredible, I'd love to buy a pair if you ever manufactured some to sell. Of all the merchandise out there, something like this would be the coolest to own.

    ResponderEliminar
  8. Hello any news in 2015? Do you need financial help? Im very interest in help yound produce these project!

    ResponderEliminar
  9. I'm still working on it, on and off. But I have been busy with other projects a stuff from real life.
    I have been trying to close as many on going projects as I can, to reduce my work queue :).

    Good news is that I have almost all required electronics/chips to accomplish the next version, but probably is not a version that I could sell yet.
    I still have to work out some stuff, in particular, adding a rechargeable battery with wireless charging capability, to prevent having to open the ball for charging, but space is at a premium inside the ball.
    My current "mono" color setup uses batteries, which can be a pain if you light the ball too much, to show to your friends (most common use :) . LEDs can drain a small battery really fast. Currently I have something like one to two hours of battery life for continuous use.

    I'm still improving it, and hope to have a better version this year, and hopefully a version that I can sell too, without it falling apart on your hands while using it.

    I have spend quite a lot of time and a reasonable amount of money developing this, and no financial help was required, for R&D at least. However, producing it in numbers will probably required some serious startup money, due to tooling and manufacturing costs, probably something along the lines of a crowd funding project.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. You ought to start a kickstarter for it, for tron fans. I think they'd sell like hotcakes to be honest.

      I was thinking of making my own, but they wouldn't be as sophisticated as yours, I'd likely go plastic transparent ball, paint them black minus a strip and use a privacy glass paint for the strip, then stick a couple LED's in there with a button-cell battery.
      Maybe add some washers or melted solder to add some weight.
      They'd only be for show, really. And you'd have to dismantle everytime you need to turn it on or off or change the battery.

      I'd probably personally buy a few sets if you were selling them. Especially if the LED color was optional.

      Eliminar
    2. I have not finished the project yet, as I intend to.
      so it's still something open, but the interest in Tron might be fadding, due to increasing film age.

      I'm not sure If I'll pursue this commercially, since I haven't seen much interest come my way, however I haven't marketed it or anything like that.

      For this to be viable, I would have to produce at least 1000 of them, and I can't use Tron brand to market it, since I never got a reply from Disney.

      Eliminar
  10. do you sell some of your prototypes ? would love to have a pair.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. I will eventually, but it's hard to warn an "unknown" user, when they will be ready.

      Eliminar
  11. I need one of these. I will pay whatever

    ResponderEliminar
  12. hi, i would love to get a pair of these. can you ping me at themediaplanet90210@gmail.com ? what i am interested is for them to light up when i pick them and to have the same black finish and orange glow as in the movie.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. Hi, thank you for interest on these.
      I'm currently busy with a ZX Spectrum (retro computer) project.
      Hope to get back to this one, once I'm done with the previous.

      Eliminar
    2. hi, me again :) any news on this one? :P

      Eliminar
    3. Sadly no, I haven't had time to return back to it yet.
      It's still in my queue, but it's not a priority right now.

      Eliminar
  13. Well, i love Tron and this balls are f*cking amazing, if you have a pair for sell send to me a email for emanuelgraff1@gmail.com plss

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. I'll use these comments as a list of interested persons, to warn once I have a working version that I can sell.

      Eliminar
  14. smayor11@gmail.com i will buy a pair of these. name the price and i will send immdditely. thanks

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. I'll use these comments as a list of interested persons, to warn once I have a working version that I can sell.

      Eliminar
  15. Interested if you end up doing a run of these! Nice work, so far :) probmxercam@gmail.com; thanks!

    ResponderEliminar
  16. Oh my days literally been scouring the web for these please let me me know if your selling these
    Cmahood@hotmail.co.uk

    ResponderEliminar
  17. Please i will need that beautiful balls
    Andyslucifer666@hotmail.com

    ResponderEliminar
  18. I had this same idea in front of baoding balls in a shop. I'm willing to pay if you finish this project. Contact le: alex-coste@hotmail.fr

    ResponderEliminar
  19. Are you still selling these? im intrested in buying some

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. I have not sold any yet.
      I have been busy, with other stuff unfortunately.

      But if you don't use a valid user (unknown is not), I will not be able to warn you about it, if I ever start selling them,

      Eliminar
  20. Hi, can you email me when you/if you startvselling then: mbsheikh@outlook.com

    ResponderEliminar
  21. I would like to get a pair! Please contact me at christianstone5496@gmail.com

    ResponderEliminar
  22. I love this balls...
    I want a pair..
    Please start selling them very quick....
    I think you will become a millionaire after making such type of balls...
    Please start selling it on amazon or wherever you want, coz it want it man

    ResponderEliminar
  23. Totally interested in buying a pair if you manage to make them look like the baoding balls that CLU had in Tron. Let me know if you get to the point of selling them. Thanks! raf.mojica@gmail.com

    ResponderEliminar
  24. i am also interested in these. can you please drop me an email at katmai@spinningboxvr.com + price if you are making them?

    ResponderEliminar
  25. Same. If you are making for sale I would love to know a price. Love the movies. Just rewatched them and noticed the balls and remembered my bauding balls from ages ago and thought they have to be out there on the net. Still can't find, so thought I would ask. Please mail if you do make them. Kd5lcf@yahoo.com

    ResponderEliminar
  26. "After finding the plastic that satisfied my intentions, I started experimenting with the ring shape and how light
    should hit it in order to have a nice even light glow.

    After I got the light source and shape nailed to the high standards it deserves.."

    I'm making a product that will have a 1-2in backlit "tron glow" strip (instead of a ring/halo) also in a spherical shape. Hoping to learn from your trials. What type of plastic and light source did you find delivered the desired even glow effect?

    Best of luck with this project!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. The main ideia is to diffuse the LED light, since LEDs provide a very concentrated point of light. So any surface or solid that can diffuse light will get you into the sweet spot.

      Never consider having the LEDs directly pointing outwards, or the hard light spots will be easily spotted.
      So resuming, diffuse the light, and do at least two reflections/refractions using your diffuse element of choice.

      Eliminar