domingo, 8 de fevereiro de 2015

Motor Bike Helmet Hanger/Support Prototype

After some time searching for a spindle-moulding machine, I finally found a cheap one that I can also adapt to my circular table saw. After initial cut of wood shapes to build by prototype Helmet Hanger, it is apparent that I made a simple mistake when cutting, since both head parts will not mate as expected, when compared to my 3D sketch. In this case, I lucked out, since I cut the matting area too short, which is not a problem because I can always increase cut length to correct size, which I did, preventing me to trash the wood.

Once the parts were correctly cut, I had to assemble a gig to fix the two head parts in the correct angle, to be able to cut it so that it will sit flush with the Helmet Hanger Base.
After I used the spindle-moulding machine to round all the required edges, to make support less prone to stick to helmet interior. Assembling the Helmet hanger is as simple as 1,2,3. First fit both head shaped parts together, and then stick this assembly into the base hole. Once the final shape is setup, we just to need to fix the head two the base, using two wood screws, that must be threaded in the correct angle.

To correctly thread base screws at the correct angle, to make it easy to assemble, it is recommended to drill these slanted holes into the parts first, which will work as a guide when threading screws for final assembly.
To finish it off, I still have to put a coat of wood varnish, to make smoother, which is useful to facilitate insertion and removal of helmet on the anger.
The ideal way to insert the helmet is to rotate it about 45º degrees, insert it on hanger and then straighten it out by rotating another 45º in direction opposite to initial rotation. To Remove it, just do the same actions in reverse.

One can make a larger base to provide support for several helmets, either vertically or horizontally.
To fit several helmets, one must also consider helmet size (S, M, L XL), and either use the smallest size that fits all intended helmets, but larger sizes will probably become too loose, with this configuration.
For a better fit, the ideal is to make a hanger "head" specific for each helmet/person, so that it will fit snugly and prevent movement.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário